Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Poem: "Interstate" *

"Interstate" *

Driving on the highway
away from here
away from the ghosts
that have haunted
my days

The open road ahead
so many miles to go
the sun shines down
upon your beautiful face

The former glory we shared
is now hanging by a thread
the wind in our hair
not a single cloud in the sky

You move closer
leaning in for a kiss
our lips meet
and, in that moment,
the flame burns once more

The lies spoken between us
the fragrant desperation
that your demands had
on my mind and my heart
was undeniably palpable

You squeeze my hand
I put my foot on the gas pedal
and, as the speedometer, rises
I close my eyes

And imagine you above me
with nothing but a smile
your sticky warmth over me

As it curdles my blood
along this stretch
of lonely interstate.

Copyright: 2009, by Raymund Diaz Delizo

* - poem was inspired by "Interstate Love Song" (Scott Weiland/Robert De Leo)

No comments: