Sunday, July 26, 2009

Poem: "The Other"

"The Other"

"Once in the madhouse they came like specks of cinnamon." - Anne Sexton

The seconds tick away
as I glance at my watch
impatiently
waiting for you

There is a man
who loves you
he came by today
and asked

"What is it you want with her?"

I smiled, but said nothing
Your beloved does not know
could never fathom
the depths of my passion
and devotion to you

My dearest one
if I cannot be with you
I don't want to ever
see the sunrise
or feel breath in my lungs
again

You have stolen
pieces of me, darling
that I cannot ever get back

Must I be forced to live this way
unable to see in the darkness
with your precious light?

No, I suppose this is the way of things
now that you're lost and gone
I wish you well, love

But I'll always stand here
in front of your house
on your street
now deserted

Your faithful "other."

Copyright: 2009, by Raymund Diaz Delizo

No comments: