Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Poem: "Crawl"

"Crawl"

dear ________,

I apologize for the vagueness
that was apparent in my last reply
but, if you must know, I still
still am

holding on to the premise
of what we shared that summer ago
now torn asunder

as I lay in bed, unclothed, aching
for the slightest provocation for you
to catch me in my most private of moments

the desperation parches my throat
there is no water in this tiny space
now littered with my present debauchery

at night, when I'm alone, I think of you
laying next to me
your soft contours, skin against skin
I reach out to you, my dear sweet child

tonight, I will marry the bed, I think

I've been feeling very Anne Sexton today
perhaps I will find the resolve to put on my makeup
and go into this glittering paradise, this untamed
urban precipice and hope in vain

to replace you with another
but no matter how pretty she is
no matter how sweet her tempting rose
may prove to be

I'll always crawl back to you, dear
and, when I close my eyes
and open myself up to the moonlit night
you'll be in my embrace once more

tonight, I will marry the bed.

- CS

Copyright: 2009, by Raymund Diaz Delizo

No comments: