Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Poem: "Guerreiro"

"Guerreiro"

dear _________,

And so it never
ends so simply
in the sordid spaces
our our divided attention spans

I could not bring myself
to tell you this time
how much it pained me
to wait until you decided
to happen upon the scene

was it simple? no
nothing ever like this
begins or falls this way

I left the number
scrawled hurriedly
on the back of a restaurant napkin

I just want to close my eyes
and forget Brazil
and displace the former affections
chosen to leave behind

the pull of Sao Paulo
beckons me out of fitful sleep
as I walk to the window
and gaze at the lovely moon

as rain starts to fall once more
the anticipation of home
makes me hate the here and now

still, I think of Sao Paulo.

- IO

Copyright: 2009, by Raymund Diaz Delizo

No comments: